Tuesday, June 3, 2008

1/6

This morning I went to church with Thandi, Bongi, and Mbongi. There is not much to say except that the church itself was housing about 50 foreigners, providing them with safety, shelter, food, and clothes. Most of the prayers were directed at that situation, and most of the time was spent welcoming these “newcomers” to the service.

Afterwards, Mbongi and I went to the Muizenberg flea market that is held every Sun day in the beach parking lot. It reminded me of the Orange County Swap Meet but probably about a tenth of the size. I bought a pair of shower shoes that I actually love and will probably end up wearing out, and a thin wallet for everyday use.

In the afternoon we drove to our hostel in downtown Cape Town. Called Cape Town Backpackers, it was voted the number 1 best hostel in Africa by hostelworld.com (so mom, dad, I swear it’s legit and safe!) It’s so quaint and cute. It’s a yellow Victorian house at the base of Table Mountain, about a 10 minute walk from Long Street, the nightlife, restaurant, downtown area of the city. The café area is my favorite place to hang out. It has a heater, comfy seating, tables, free tea and coffee, and a plug for my computer. The only bad thing is there is no laundry, and no wireless. Luckily there’s an Internet Café with cheap wireless right down the street. 

No comments: